Adding Nest Thermostat to Control4 System
This is for adding HVAC to your Home Automation System using the Nest Thermostat (High Level):
*The Thermostat Needs to be Installed by a Licensed HVAC Installer for Proper Operation (Instructions Attached)*
*If you have an existing Thermostat that you are replacing, take a picture of the wiring connected to the original mounting plate as a reference and in the event you need to re-install the original Thermostat.*
*After the Thermostat has been professionally installed…
Must be done by a Control4 Dealer, Programmer and/or Installer…
- First, you will need to have the Control4 Driver added to your Home Automation Project.
- In Composer, go to:
- Type in Nest
- Double Click on Google Nest Master Driver to add to your project.
- In Composer, go to:
Link Google Account
- From the Actions tab, click the “Get Link For Google Authentication” button.
- This will then populate the “Google Authentication URL” property on the Properties tab with a short URL.
- Provide this URL to your customer and ask them to follow the prompts to login to their Google account on any of their devices.
- For the driver to work, on the “Google Nest permissions” page, they must move the slider in
- Step 1 “Allow Control4 to see information about your home”
- Step 2 “Select devices to connect with Control4” all sliders to the On position, as shown here.
- They must also click “Allow” to the popup that asks “Grant Control4 permission”. This will tick the box on the following screen that says “See and/or control the devices that you selected”.
- Once login is complete, the “Google Authentication URL” property will be cleared, and the “Google Account” property will be populated with the name and email address of the Google account that the driver is linked with.
- Please ensure this matches your customer.
Link Control4 Account
- Once the “Google Account” property is populated with the correct information, your customer will also need to link this driver with their Control4 account.
- From the Actions tab, click the “Get Link For Control4 Authentication” button. This will then populate the “Control4 Authentication URL” property on the Properties tab with a short URL.
- Provide this URL to your customer and ask them to follow the prompts to login to their my.control4.com account.
- Once login is complete, the “Control4 Authentication URL” property will be cleared, and the “Control4 Account” property will be populated.
*If the wrong my.control4.com account credentials are entered (for example, for a dealer system instead of a customer system), then the “Control4 Account” property will instead say “Credentials entered for wrong my.control4.com account”. In that case, please re-do the “Link Control4 Account” step here with the correct my.control4.com account credentials.
Setup Nest Thermostat Drivers in Control4
- Once the “Google Account” and “Control4 Account” properties are populated with the correct information, you are now able to add the device drivers to the Control4 system.
- From the actions tab, click the “Setup Nest Devices” button in the Actions tab. This will query the Google Nest API for all available devices, and then automatically import drivers for each device into the Control4 system in the same room as the Google Nest Master Driver.
- This will take approximately 30 seconds for each device to be added and configured. While this is happening, please don’t do anything else with Composer so that no mis-configuration happens.
- Renamed each Thermostat to match their Google Nest setup.
Once all drivers have been added and renamed to match their Google Nest setup, you are able to make the final configuration to move the drivers into other rooms as necessary and make the correct connections for each thermostat to their respective room Temperature and Temperature Control inputs.
- Finally, Refresh Navigators for the added devices to appear on the user interfaces.
Need Remote Control4 Support from jrb? Purchase our jrb Control4 Remote Support then Give jrb Access to your Control4 System!